Saturday, November 1, 2008

The new little man in my life...


I know, I'm totally lame - I'm sorry I didn't keep you all updated throughout the delivery - for some reason I thought it was going to be easier than it was =P

Here he is:

Kai William Baird
October 29, 2008; 4:29 pm
8 lbs 10 oz, 20 inches long



Our little miracle came without induction!  Our appointment was at 5:30 am on Wednesday for the induction but he decided he wanted to come on his own.  We checked into the hospital 2 hours before the appointment because the contractions were just too intense - I was 4 centimeters - BRING ON THE EPIDURAL!!


Father & Son - swaddled and happy =)

Catching up on the daily news together


In case you're wondering, the pictures that I have of Kai and I are not that great.  They are either too revealing for the public eye or just plain ugly - hee hee hee.  

We're enjoying each other - he's DEFINITELY a sleeper.  I have to wake him up to eat and that right there has been a real challenge.  We had a rough night last night because he wouldn't latch on so he was dehydrated this morning.  I called the Pediatrician and she told me to try as much breast milk as possible than to follow up with formula to make sure he get's enough.

Please pray for us - I need the grace to be patient and not freak out when he does during the eating process.  If you have any helpful tips or advice - I am all ears!!

Love you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Chalene and Ryan! Kai is soooooo cute! We are so happy for you.
Hang in there with Kai being a sleepy eater. Preston was that way too and eventually it passes. My best advice is to unswaddle him when you do the feedings to try to wake him up as much as possible, and rub his feet or back. Please call me if you feel the need to talk to someone :)
God bless,
Krista

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Chalene.....Kai is beautiful. Enjoy your babymoon!

I don't know if you are nursing on demand or not, but that is what I did with all my babies, so I never really woke any of them to eat. I just let them sleep and then fed them when they finally did wake, regardless of how many hours between feedings it had been. Have you tried expressing any milk or colostrum and feed it to Kai with a syringe after you are done nursing him, that way he is still getting breast milk, and you are helping bring in your milk still. Also, is he just using you as a pacificer, or is he actually nursing....there is a distinct difference. Take a look at drjacknewmon.com (I think that is the name of his website)...he has some great info that might be helpful for you, including videos for you to view. Nursing can be very hard in the begining, but keep your head up mama. Oh yeah.....all my babies have been big babies (9 lbs and up) like Kai, and I have heard other moms say that sometimes big babies don't need to nurse as much for the first few days, they have the extra fat on them. Don't know how much of that is true, but I just thought I would let you know.

http://www.geocities.com/pasadenalalecheleague/

That is the list for the Pasadena La Leche League, in case you might want to call or attend a meeting...they can be a great source of information.

Good luck, and I will keep you guys in my prayers!

Bethany said...

Oh I want to come see him and take some pics. I am just so stinkin sick and don't want to give your brand new little man anything.

I nursed every two hours through the night in the beginning. I also nursed a lot in the day in the beginning. Just to get the milk in and get them going and nice and tanked. Football hold!!!! If you are not nursing using the football hold I would try it. That was the best hold for me when they were newborns to get them to latch on correctly. I could never get them on right with the other holds until they were older. If you don't know what I am talking about call me and I can talk you through it. PS 6-8 weeks....nursing stinks then something magical happens and it becomes pretty easy. Hang in there. He is a handsome little guy.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you. So excited for you, friend. :)

Kels

Libby said...

so cute! i love the picture of father and son swaddled! and i think you're not being fair to your beautiful self - i'm sure the photos of you and kai are beautiful! congratulations bairds!!!