Thursday, February 11, 2010

Any Advice?

I need help!!!

So, how do you do it? How did YOU do it?
That is, getting everything done like: keeping the kitchen clean (& that's just the dishes, not to mention sweeping and moping), making it so that your living room doesn't look like a bomb of toys and clothes and diapers went off - and that's 10 minutes after you JUST cleaned it!!! Making sure your kid is fed even when the things you give to him make you want to puke, and then there's making dinner???

I've been really struggling lately with where to draw the line between needing rest through out the day and being lazy. I've been talking to Ryan about it and he gave me some great advice about just doing it! Get up and do the things you have to do and if you find that you are exhausted - don't beat yourself up - just rest. So, that's what I've been trying to do lately. Just do it!! ....and then go sit on the couch until the next wave of energy hits me....sometimes, I feel like it checks out for the day by 2pm.

I need your advice, mothers =) Can you share with me what your mentality was for keeping up with your God-given call as a wife and mother during the first trimester of pregnancy or even through out the whole pregnancy?

Oh ya, and can I start to drink coffee now that I've gone 3 months with out it?

3 comments:

LauraT said...

First of all, yes, you can start drinking coffee. I think the guidelines are a couple of cups a day - check with your doctor on that. Second of all, Ryan's advice was great! After all, what's the purpose of housework and "getting it all done?" To help your husband and serve your family. Guess what? Your family is expanding - literally! The amount of energy a woman expends in her first trimester of pregnancy is similar to the energy a mountain climber expends - no joke! Of course, this does not at all surprise you! The more you can rest and simplify things, the better off you are. Reduce the number of Kai's toys, serve more leftovers so that you cook less (ask Ryan what his top three favorite meals are and focus on those), and just do chores in spurts of fifteen minutes(set the timer - you'll be amazed at how much you can get done all the while knowing you can stop soon and take a break).Get fun books and toys and as you're resting have Kai near you. Your teeny tiny baby needs you to prioritize and that's OK! This is just for a season, albeit a humbling, rather frustrating one, but this too shall pass. Don't forget to ask God for wisdom, minute by minute if need be! God bless you. Laura

Katie Virginia Battaglia said...

Hey girl!
First of all I'll pray for you :) I'm right there with you. I get so discouraged some times I just sit and cry.
Lately I've been spending time reading my Bible first thing while Virginia drinks her morning milk. That has encouraged me. Then I just take things one step at a time.
I find that if I can keep up with the kitchen and the laundry it makes a big difference.
When V takes her nap, I pick up toys and do other quiet things - including sometimes napping.
I can't encourage you in the making dinner department because that's still hard for me at this stage :) nothing EVER SOUNDS GOOD!
On days that you feel pretty good, cook a few meals and freeze them...
God won't give you any more than you can handle! And it helps to recount all the blessings and all the days He's carried you through.
Katie

Michelle Ball said...

you're doing something even when you sit down- your body is building a baby! Take your prenatal vitamin. Use paper plates. Have very low expectations (a very VERY small to-do list) for your day. DO NOT compare yourself to others (it often leads to discouragement.) Rest in God's grace and provision and take joy in little moments with Kai- even with a dirty kitchen.
Miss you and love you!