Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Encouragement for weary souls

Romans 5: 1-5
"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."

Lately, I have been going through a season of "why, God?!" I have 2 kids 3 years old and under with one on the way and the daily tasks and responsibilities of changing diapers, preparing and feeding meals, constantly cleaning up, doing the same chores over and over and over and over again have left me discouraged and depressed. My thoughts have basically been "what is this for??" " WHY am I doing this again???" "Shouldn't my life have more purpose than this?"

It does =)

The ESV Study Bible translation of the above passage reads: "The people of God rejoice not only in future glory but in present trials and sufferings, not because trials are pleasant but because they produce a step-by-step transformation that makes believers more like Christ"

I have forgotten this!! I have forgotten about the gospel and how it applies to the mundane and every day tasks. I've lost sight of the cross and therefore have not been preaching the gospel to myself on a daily basis. I've forgotten that the whole reason I go through these so called "minor trials and sufferings" is so that I can be made more like Christ. What hope and joy I now have to face the rest of this day!!! I am changing diapers and wiping boogers and making meal after meal because it is slowly changing me into the image of Christ.
These little tasks that can be soooo wearisome are teaching me to endure and therefore bringing me into the step-by-step transformation process of becoming more like Christ. Laying down my life and sacrificing comfort and hobbies to the needs of my family and church brings glory to God.

If you're reading this and you're being called by God to be in a season of work, schooling, taking care of another, waiting to be married or waiting to bear children, or maybe you think you have too many children and need encouragement, I hope this encourages you. The suffering you are enduring in what ever way has a purpose! And that purpose is to point you not to this world and the "here and now" but to point you to your loving Father and Savior who is preparing you to be His perfect and spotless bride!! He is refining your faith through these "fires" to bring you out pure as gold.

0 comments: